June 26, 2008

A Letter from Page Regarding Phish Reunion Rumors

And so it begins as it ended . . .

Almost four years to the date (well, a month off but kinda close considering how much time has passed) Page McConnell writes a letter to all of us, and posts it on Phish.com, addressing the rumors that have been swimming around about the possibility of a Phish reunion.

The letter in its entirety is posted below, but I suggest you check out The Real McCoy anyway.

==========

A LETTER FROM PAGE 06.26.08
Given the volume of speculation and rumors that have bubbled up recently, I have been asked to make a statement…Here goes.

For me, the last four years have been great. I’ve spent quality time with my family and have watched my daughter grow. I took great pleasure and pride in writing and recording an album. I’m living a healthy lifestyle. I travel as little as possible and I sleep in my own bed. It took a couple of years after the break up to begin talking to my old band mates, but once the conversations began to flow it wasn’t long before the friendships were rekindled. And I can honestly say that I’m closer with all of them now then I’ve ever been in our 20-year relationship.

Recently the conversations have turned toward the possibility of spending some time together. Currently many of us have plans and projects already in the works, most notably Mike, who made a great album and is about to hit the road in support of it. Given that I might not even see some of the guys for the next six months, I would say that the announcement of a reunion is premature. However, later this year we hope to spend some time together and take a look at what possible futures we might enjoy. In fact the only real decision that has been made is that when we do get together, it will only be the four of us, hopefully with no distractions. I am really looking forward to that.

I want to say just a few more things. The prospect of Phish reuniting is something I consider very seriously, and I think about it a lot. And lastly, as always, there is plenty of misinformation floating around. Try not to focus too much on secondhand sources and random gossip. If there is anything real to announce, it will come from the four of us as a group.

Until then,
Page

==========

And we're glad glad glad that you're alive . . .

First of all, I have to admit, it makes me sad to read that the boys didn't speak to each other, in one form or another, for almost two years after Coventry. I knew there was a lot of shit that went down between the four of them, but I never pictured them being that irritated with each other; hats off to Phish for keeping the fighting quietly to themselves.

Second, it is, of course, incredibly good news to read about plans to get together later this year and "take a look at what possible futures we might enjoy" -- just Phish without any family, phamily or hangers-on. That's how it was in the beginning of it all, before Col. Forbin stepped through that door . . . just four guys with a dream and all the time in the world to rehearse, become stronger and tighter as a unit by playing gigs that slowly drew more and more people, and work on getting down all those intricate passages in songs so they could play them tight, like we all adore.

I don't know where they plan on getting together (The Barn, anyone?), but I can't picture them hanging out and not playing at least a little music. Or maybe that's the point -- just to spend some time trying to define what Phish is now, and who they've become in relation to one another.

Wouldn't it be nice if Trey happened to bring alone some sheet music for those songs he and Tom wrote? Ah, to be a fly in Fishman's soup . . .

Finally, Page flat out says he thinks about Phish getting back together, and thinks about it a lot. I don't know about you, but I don't spend a lot of time dwelling on things that aren't important in my life. (Right here I feel like I'm holding a Magic 8-Ball and the little blue dectagon floating around inside the window comes up "All signs point to yes."

All of us Phish-heads have waited for this day, or for something like it, for a long, long time; for me, at least, I have gone through so many life changes since August 2004 -- the birth of my son (first and only child); growing a new company and later exiting while it was still on top; getting divorced; moving from Raleigh, North Carolina to West Palm Beach, Florida to Orlando, Fla. to Eugene, Oregon and finally settling in Bend, Ore.

We now know that by the end of 2008 we will (almost) definitely have some news about the future of Phish, if there is one in store or not. That's more than we knew last Wednesday (June 25), and while it isn't exactly the news we all hoped for, isn't it great just knowing the guys decided to address us as Phish?

So, have sweet dreams people. Dust off those cassette tapes (I know some of you still have them - -I do!). The MultiBeast is stirring and looks as if it may awaken in the not-to-distant future.


No comments: