May 28, 2008

Trey Drops a Hint in Rolling Stone

All right Trey. Are you guys going to do it or not?

If you click on the headline above, you'll see a picture of Trey Anastasio on Rolling Stone's home page with a headline that says: "Anastasio Hints At Phish Reunion -- Guitarist says bandmates "have been talking a lot."

First of all, if you are like me and continue to follow Phish (I have Google alerts set up to send me anything that gets published on the Internet with the names Trey Anastasio, Mike Gordon, Page McConnell and Jon Fishman included; and interestingly, every single day someone out there publishes something on a website that has their names in it.), you already know that the guys in Phish continue talking on a regular basis. Trey has mentioned this in almost every published interview since Phish officially split up on August 15, 2004, after their last-ever end-of-summer festival called Coventry.

Second, Henrietta has said on more than one occasion, and his statements have been reiterated by Trey, Mike and Page, that he is done with Phish and really has no desire to crank up the beast again. Fishman's been home living his life as a husband (I think he got married for a third time) and father to his two beautiful daughters.

Third, Chris Koruda recently told Jambands.com (in an interview covered here at The Wagger) that Trey has some things in the works for the near future, and CK5 said he plans to be part of it, whatever it may be.

However, I have to say that this latest statement in Rolling Stone from Big Red piques my interest quite a bit. He says:

"When Phish broke up, I made some comment about how I’m not gonna go around playing ‘You Enjoy Myself’ for the rest of my life ... it’s not that I can’t believe that I said that, but its symbolic of how much I lost my mind or how much I lost my bearings or something. Because at this point in time I would give my left nut to play that song five times in a row every day until I die. I certainly thought about that while I was in jail.”

A thought you had in jail while you were clean and sober, I might add, Trey. Are your synapses starting to fire once again Lawn Boy now that your charges have been reduced and you were given three years probation rather than five? Is the fog that surrounds you starting to lift now that you completed a court-ordered drug treatment program? Are you finally realizing that life is better, and thousands of times more fun, with Phish in the world?

I sure hope so. Otherwise, after making a statement like that, I will have to agree with the t-shirts saying "Trey is a Sith Lord" and "Trey is Wilson." If you're going to drop a bomb like that on Phishheads the wide world over, then you better follow up, my friend.

It pisses me off that every magazine in the world catching wind of someone referring to Phish performing together again exploits the quote and runs with a story, or news blurb, claiming the band is getting back together.

But it's not the exploitation that gets me -- it's the fact that I want to see them play again so bad that I am almost willing to believe every last little hint that's out there.

Well, not really believe them, but it does make me drool.

No comments: